Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Prominent local Architects Ida Annah Ryan & Isabel Roberts

Ida Annah Ryan moved to Orlando in 1917 from Waltham, Massachusetts; born November 4, 1873, she was the first woman to receive a master's degree from M.I.T., but solely because she was female she was not allowed to join the state architectural society. She moved to Florida and became Orlando's first female architect.

She designed this Mediterranean Revival style home for herself in 1920-24. It exhibits an asymmetrical window placement, side yard orientation, and gently scalloped buttresses. (Info courtesy of Orlando Lake Ivanhoe Historical Trail Copyright 2003 by Steve Rajtar)


                             

                                                                                 

Veterans Memorial Library - 1012 Massachusetts Ave, St. Cloud, Florida: Isabel Robert’s brother-in-law, John B. Somerville, served on the building committee, a connection which resulted in Ryan and Roberts obtaining this commission.  Of Grecian style this is reminiscent of the designs of many of the Prairie School small bank buildings of the upper Midwest by Louis Sullivan, Frank Lloyd Wright and others. The library is constructed of hollow tile with stained stucco exterior and still in use today. 

(Image courtesy Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 2.5)
The Amherst Apartments at 325 West Colonial Drive, Orlando, Florida, the Amherst Apartments were, for many years, Orlando’s most prestigious apartment address. Designed by Ida A. Ryan and Isabel Roberts in the Prairie Style and built in 1921–1922, this orange-yellow brick building featured forty-seven apartments situated on Lake Concord. The building was demolished in 1986.

  (Images courtesy Orange County Regional History Center)  

The Chapel at the Fisk Funeral Home, 1107–1111 Massachusetts Avenue, St. Cloud:

The Pennsylvania Hotel Building, 10th Street between Pennsylvania Ave. and Florida Avenue, St. Cloud, Florida; The building now houses the St. Cloud Twin Theatres.

The Peoples Bank Building, southeast corner of 10th Street and New York Avenue, St. Cloud, Florida; the bank failed in the late Twenties; the main floor of the building is now used as a Brand for Less store and barber shop. The building has obviously been remodeled over the years.
               
 Ross E. Jeffries Elementary School, 1200 Vermont Avenue, St. Cloud, Florida, circa 1926; Though positive documentation has been lost to time, records show that the designers of the Mediterranean Revival style school's original building may have been Ryan & Roberts. The building is distinguished by an arched porch in the offset tower main entry and a low profile accentuated by a curved parapet-roofed bay. The facade consists chiefly of large tri-part Chicago style windows, with small end windows as accents. 
         
Lester M. Austin, Sr. Residence, 541 North Boyd Street, Winter Garden, Florida, circa 1927. A large Mediterranean Revival stucco house with tile roof and tripartite arched windows:

(Much of this info is courtesy Wikipedia)

  
    
                    

No comments:

Post a Comment